Thursday, October 11, 2007

October 11 2007 - 5pm

I really had nothing new to add from yesterdays blog other then I am still smoke free, but it seems to be getting harder as the realization of me not picking up another cigarette is putting a damper on things.... maybe I am not meant to completely quit just yet... is it so wrong if I become a social smoker... you know after a few drinks, or have one after dinner.... obviously never go back to smoking over a pack a day... or is that a false truth.... will I end up where I started.... smoking a pack a day.... this thought keeps running through my mind... as I keep getting the cravings... the more these thoughts of having just 1 cigarette run across my mind.

I would not be the cranky, snappy, irritated mother f*cker I think that I have become since I quit. Yes I said it.... up until now I have stayed quiet about this... but the truth must come out... my wife has been telling me that I have become cranky.... and that I snap at insigificant things... but NOW my customers at work are telling me that I seem irritated and cranky. So I start to think will I feel better if I knew that I had a "reward" comming to me at the end of the day. At least thats what worked the when I first started quitting with Chantix... the first week I significantly cut down and I was able to keep cutting down with the thought of.... "I will hold off for another hour"... then unwillingly it turned into 3 or 4, but at the end I knew that I would have that desire fulfilled eventually. I would have my smoke! And maybe, just maybe if I do decide to "unofficially quit" by having that one cigarette at the end of the day... I may turn away from it and decide that I can do without it. As of right now ... I began to smell the stench of cigarette smoke... pedestrians walk past my store smoking, and when I have my door open I smell it.... if a customer walks in after just having a cigarette... they stink... and I finally smell it ... thats how I used to stink... which is why I may just decide to quit thereafter. And lately thanks to Chantix while I was still smoking the cigarettes were undesirable... they even tasted differently.

Maybe if I knew that I will have that one smoke, it just might calm my nerves.... This might be well worth trying. Hell at this point I even understand those who would tell me otherwise... but maybe they are not in the same situation as I am... maybe they are a stay at home mom who has no customers frustrating her, or maybe its someone that works in an office in front of a computer all day with no outside comunication other then the actaul computer.... but in my case I deal with people all day... everyday.... and Its one thing to piss off my wife... at least she knows why Im crabby and 'tries' to understand... but customers/clients pay my bills. And as nice as I try to be lately, my facial expression tells a different story. I see it myself... I seem tense and constatnly chewing on a plastic toothpick or straw. Its either that or I eat... and we already had that discussion. I really dont want to smoke...well, not the way I did before and I dont know if i want to smoke at all but..... If KNOWING that I can have that one cigarette at the end of the day... might help in the issue I described above....................SCREW THAT I WILL KEEP TRYING.... BUT THAT THOUGHT KEEPS POPPING UP ON A REGULAR.

3 comments:

maggie said...

Hang in there, Jesse. Many, many, many of us found that the first few days were OK-ish, followed by some tougher ones (around Day 5 for a lot of us, give or take), but then, lo and behold, it went back to better again.

We all have plenty of reasons or triggers as to why it would be so nice and even so *deserved* to have that one cigarette after a long day, but in reality, then we'd still be smokers. You don't want to be, which is why you are already headed this far down this path! No point turning back now, only to have to some day re-do these first tougher days, right?

You will make it. Try some of the cliche but true stress relievers like breathing or taking a walk (even just a short one where smoking would have been or something active - you'll be amazed!).

No BS, it's hard. Even with Chantix. But it does get easier overall, and that part is just around the corner, and you'll come through the other side tougher if you just keep hanging in there and just keep going.

Chris said...

I can't speak for you but were I to have "just one" I imagine I could convince myself another "just one" tomorrow, or with a cold beer, or when I am really stressed out would be OK.

I know better. I "successfully" quit once before but the "just one" mentality killed that years ago. Do what you must but for me I have to be strong and say "no more."

It is an astonishingly addictive drug; for me, "just one" is all it takes.

MamaFlo said...

Don't smoke that cigarette, one leads right back to your complete habit. You cannot be a social smoker.

I spent alot of time by myself during my first 2 weeks without smoking just so I wouldn't be the mean snide person you are talking about. I too was quick to anger and always thought about a cigarette but I steered clear and now today is day 17 and it is getting easier, I'm beginning to view my life without being a smoker.

Stay Quit, you can do this!!